Up in Smoke? Marijuana and Real Estate
From Attorney Trista Curzydlo. With over half of all states decriminalizing marijuana, the cannabis industry (and its real estate needs) are growing—leaving agents and clients in a risky position. This course examines the potential pitfalls and associated risk reduction techniques for real estate professionals. (1-2 hour session) Also Available-Up in Smoke? Marijuana & Commercial Real Estate
Presented for the National Association of REALTORS® at their convention in Boston, 2019. This session received an overall rating of 4.87 out of a possible 5. Please enjoy this audio and slide recording of that session:
What Does Cannibis Have to do with Real Estate and the Law?
What Can You Expect to Learn from “Up In Smoke?” You’ll Be Able to …
- Know the difference between the Controlled Substance Act and state decriminalization laws.
- Explain how federal agency guidance is different from federal law.
- Describe how the “illegality defense” may be used in a contractual dispute to void a contract.
- Ask your financial institution 3 important questions before agreeing to least/rent to a marijuana industry client.
- Explain how zoning regulations and planned unit developments impact marijuana industry clients differently from a traditional client.
- List 5 clauses that should exist in a lease with a marijuana industry client.
- Ask your insurance provider the right questions before agreeing to lease/rent to a marijuana industry client.
- Understand how the Kanovsky memorandum impacts denying a reasonable accommodation request by a tenant wishing to use medical marijuana.