Up in Smoke? Doing Business with Marijuana Industry Participants
From Attorney Trista Curzydlo. With over half of all states decriminalizing marijuana, the cannabis industry (and its real estate needs) are growing—leaving agents and clients in a risky position. This course examines the potential pitfalls and associated risk reduction techniques for real estate professionals. (1-2 hour session)
Presented for the National Association of REALTORS® at their convention in Boston, 2019. This session received an overall rating of 4.87 out of a possible 5. Please enjoy this audio and slide recording of that session:
What Does Cannibis Have to do with Real Estate and the Law?
What Can You Expect to Learn from “Up In Smoke?” You’ll Be Able to …
- Know the difference between the Controlled Substance Act and state decriminalization laws.
- Explain how federal agency guidance is different from federal law.
- Describe how the “illegality defense” may be used in a contractual dispute to void a contract.
- Ask your financial institution 3 important questions before agreeing to least/rent to a marijuana industry client.
- Explain how zoning regulations and planned unit developments impact marijuana industry clients differently from a traditional client.
- List 5 clauses that should exist in a lease with a marijuana industry client.
- Ask your insurance provider the right questions before agreeing to lease/rent to a marijuana industry client.
- Understand how the Kanovsky memorandum impacts denying a reasonable accommodation request by a tenant wishing to use medical marijuana.